Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Uganda Trip - Day 14

Sunday, Dec. 12 -

Today's notes from my girls...

I'm sooo glad I had this opportunity to go to Uganda but I'm also sooo glad I'm going home! I've missed my family and friends a ton and can't wait to see them all! We switched planes in Amsterdam then headed towards the States. We were supposed to fly to Detroit then on to Oklahoma but the flight crew needed to change so we made a stop in Boston. Then the new flight crew never showed up so Delta had to  reroute about 200 passengers on different flights! Ugh! We were supposed to be home in a few hours but they don't have any flights going to Tulsa this evening so now we have to stay the night in Boston! :-(

We had to go collect all our luggage - which took forever but thankfully it was all there. Then, we waited in the Delta reservations line for 2 1/2 hours to make our new flight arrangements. The next flight out is tomorrow morning so they put us up at the Hyatt Hotel for our "inconvenience".

I am writing this from my hotel room and looking out my huge window with an AMAZING view of Boston. Here's the daytime view...

And here's the nighttime view. If only we were here a little longer, we'd have to stop by "Cheers!".

But just getting here was great "fun", to say the least! We made our way outside to wait for the Hyatt Shuttle to take us to our hotel. Now mind you, we just came from 90 degree weather in Africa so the 40 degree windy weather was really a shock to our system as we were not dressed for the cold! We waited and waited but the shuttle never came! I'm pretty sure Kelley and I were driving Derk nutso as we were shivering and jumping up and down to keep warm - and the complaining probably didn't help a whole lot, either. So we tracked down an airport bus and we were finally taken to our hotel. The driver was very "friendly" and gladly watched us as we struggled to get our luggage on and off his shuttle without his help.

Then we checked in at the hotel and were given our room keys.

I was on the 7th floor so I wearily took all my luggage and made my way to my room. Just as I was about to go in, I thought I could hear someone in my room and the "privacy" sign was on the door. I thought that was strange, so I knocked on the door and there was a lady staying in my room! Evidently, they assigned me to a room that was already occupied by another guest. At this point, I just had to laugh because I could have easily broken down sobbing right there in the hotel hallway. I was exhausted, hungry, and just wanted to be home.

I made my way to the registration desk and was assigned another room. It was very nice and spacious and the bed looked sooo comfortable, I just wanted to dive right in!

So I ate a quick dinner of Clam Chowder (because when in Boston, you must have chowder!) and showered (felt oh so nice!). This is a picture of me right outside the hotel restaurant. Too bad it was cold outside - the view was amazing! I could have stayed out there forever!

Our flight leaves at 10 in the morning and we should be home by 3! Having this "adventure" today makes me miss my family even more! I really wanted to be home but this was probably a blessing in disguise because at least I can now get some good rest and a shower before I see my family tomorrow. Now I'm really counting down the hours! It's almost 8:30 and I'm about to go to sleep because I can't keep my eyes open any longer! Signing off here and tomorrow I'll be home!

Sorry - being a former "Cheers" fan, I just had to post this ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment