Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Uganda Trip - Day 13

Saturday, Dec. 11 -

Today's notes from my girls...

This morning we woke up early and took a boat ride down the Nile River! We saw hippos and crocs really close up! We also saw water buffalo, gazelles, monkeys, wild boar, antelope, and deer. The ride was about 4 miles in length and 2 1/2 hours long. It was so much fun!

After eating an amazing buffet lunch back at the hotel, we packed up our bags and began the "journey" home. And what a journey it was! We were told when we entered the Park to go through the north entrance because that was where most of the animals were. We found the north side is a lot more grassland and fewer trees, so we did see more animals. We took a barge ride across the Nile to get to the south side where the exit was.

I thought the best part of the safari was actually getting to see the waterfalls. They were amazing! The noise alone took my breath away! The water was so powerfully beautiful and strong! Words can't even describe it - it was jaw dropping!

It took us about another 2 1/2 hours to get down the narrow, bumpy dirt rode to exit the Park. It had just rained the night before, too, which made the dirt road really muddy. I was a bit worried we'd get stuck in a ditch or a pothole because our van was sliding all over the place! It was interesting how everything turned from grassland to tropical jungle so quickly. We were soon covered with trees and vines all around us. Didn't see many animals on the south side - just some chimpanzees and tropical birds.

We were so excited to see the exit sign because we had driven for what seemed like forever not really knowing if we were going in the right direction or not. It then took us another 8 hours or so to drive to the airport. I don't think I've done as much praying at a single time as I did during that drive to Kampala. Kelley and I were scared to death - we were literally ducking from cars and pedestrians as they passed us! As I mentioned before, they drive C-R-A-Z-Y here - they drive super fast, often times lanes aren't marked, roads are typically 2-lanes that you have to share with walkers, bikers and those on motor cycles, cars and busses. And it's especially scary at night because there is no electricity which means no street lights. The roads are very narrow and often times are bumpy, dirt roads. We had way too many close calls! Amazingly, Derk slept through most of it in the back seat of our van! When he woke up, I told him he was like the story in the Bible of Jesus sleeping on the boat and a storm came and his disciples were freaking out because of the crashing waves all around them ;-)  It truly was a miracle that we made it to the airport without an incident - PTL!

So I am now writing this journal entry on the plane. We can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel! We have an 8 1/2 hour flight to Amsterdam. So I'm going to try to get some shut eye and maybe catch a movie on the way home. Will write more tomorrow - counting down the hours until I'm home! :-)

1 comment:

  1. I cannot WAIT to see the falls!!! OH.MY.GOODNESS!!!