Sunday, November 28, 2010

Breathe

So here I sit. The night before I leave early in the morning. It's hard to believe that less than 2 months ago I was asked to go to Uganda. That time flew by so quickly. Preparing emotionally to leave my family for 2 weeks has definitely been one of the hardest things I've ever had to go through. They are my life. Maybe God's trying to teach me a lesson to not put them before Him? ;-)

This has definitely been a huge learning experience for me. For the past week or so, I've been trying to remind myself that this trip isn't even about me and when I start worrying about things, I'm not focused on why I am going and Who I am doing it for. Our pastor said this morning that God has two main purposes in His Will for our lives - to glorify Him and to enjoy Him in all that we do forever and ever. So I've had to ask myself today, "When I worry about my safety or when my thoughts are consumed with how much I'm going to miss my family, am I glorifying God and enjoying Him?" Easier said than done right now, but it does help me to focus on what I am doing - or what I "should" be doing ;-)

I am so overwhelmed and humbled by all the encouragement and acts of kindness I have received from my friends and family as I have gone along on this journey these last few months. Our homeschool Co-Op threw a Thanksgiving Potluck and collected donations to be given to me for my trip. My sweet friend, Nicole, arranged it all and her family did a super cute Thanksgiving puppet show for everyone, as well. I was "supposed" to be in charge of video taping the play but unfortunately my camera wasn't charged so I only got the first minute or so :-(


That puts a smile on my face every time I watch it!

My girl's friend, Makenzie, has a website called "Punkey Monkey Missions". At a garage sale recently, she set up a table and sold the items she makes and gave me the profits from her sale. I told her that was like receiving a million dollars to me!

My girls have also been making and selling things for me through their ministry called Girly Me Missions. I remember about a month ago, a friend of theirs was over and all of a sudden they decided to set up a lemonade stand to raise money for my trip. Now mind you, we live on an acre on a culta-sac in a quiet neighborhood and they did not advertise for the sale. I kinda chuckled to myself thinking, "Oh, that's sweet, but too bad for them they won't have any customers because there's no one around!" Within minutes, people were coming from I don't know where and pretty soon a bunch of neighborhood kids were buying lemonade and yelling at passerby's to stop and buy a cup. It was amazing. Silly me for being so small minded ;-)

My sweet friend, Rusti, created a Prayer Calendar for people to pray for me while I am gone. I so appreciate knowing that friends and family are praying for our team and Calo Me Lare, as well.


And I couldn't have come this far if it were not for the support from my husband, Steve. He's put up with my sappiness and tears and has made I don't know how many trips to the store getting things for my trip. He has been a huge support to me and for that I am eternally grateful.


So, I better sign off here. Still have some more packing to do and a little mental preparation before I go to bed early tonight. Our flight leaves at 6 in the morning and should arrive in Uganda 35 hours later! Looks like I should have plenty of time to get caught up on my reading that I never have time to do! I do so look forward to working with the people of Uganda. I have really developed a heart for them and a passion to have their stories told. There is so much we can do for them, even here in America. I'll be blogging as soon as I get back in 2 weeks!

Now, it's time to breathe...

No comments:

Post a Comment