Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Ignorant No More

I am beginning my 2nd year of doing volunteer work with Project Hope Worldwide. Up until recent months I, honestly and sadly, didn't pay much attention when I heard phrases such as "child soldier" or "night commuters". Like many people who have heard those phrases but didn't think much about them, I shrugged it off as "it's very sad, but what can I do from so far away?"

Since being asked to go to Uganda, I've been reading everything I can get my hands on about the country itself, it's history and it's culture. I've had many, many sleepless nights where I'm up for several hours reading about the plight of Ugandan orphans. Why have I not heard these stories before? Why did I not know who Joseph Kony was and that he was on the "Top 10 Most Wanted and Dreaded World Criminals list" (according to Forbes magazine, 2008)? Why did I not know about the thousands and thousands of horrendous and brutal killings by the Lord's Resistance Army? Why did I not know?

Well, now I do know and can no longer plead ignorance. Derk Madden, President of Project Hope Worldwide, told me recently that on one of his trips to Uganda, a boy shared with him his horrifying story of his childhood. Then the boy looked at him straight in the eye and said, "Many people want to know our stories, but what will you do with this information? People hear us but do nothing." So I am now on a mission to tell others about the mistreatment of innocent Ugandans. I am here to tell everyone there is hope for these people and we CAN help them, even if we're on the other side of the world.

* How to get involved...

1. Pray! Pray for the oppressed, pray for the Ugandan government, pray for those committing horrible crimes against innocent civilians, pray for increased funds to be made available to help those in need and pray that the hurting will stop.

2. Donate.  Contributions to Project Hope Worldwide goes directly to the building of "Calo Me Lare" (a.k.a. "Village of Redemption"), which is providing homes for these orphans, as well as giving them an education and good medical care. 

3. Volunteer. Project Hope Worldwide hosts an annual dinner and auction, called Kwero, that raises funds for Ugandan orphans. Attend the event or even help plan it! Contact Project Hope Worldwide to see if there are other volunteer opportunities available. 

4. Notify officials. Write to your government officials and express your concern for the way Ugandan children are kidnapped, beaten, starved, raped, forced to be child soldiers, or killed. Strongly suggest that funds go to help protect innocent Ugandans and capture those doing evil.

So. Now you know about the dire need of Ugandan orphans. What will YOU do with the information?

No comments:

Post a Comment